Blogging for reflection

I’m intrigued to see how some people use blogging as a tool for theological reflection. For example, Pete Phillips of Cliff College, captures this in an interview. And it raises the question which I may try to develop at another point about practical/physical tools and techniques for reflection (as distinct from conceptual tools such as most of the above). However I would like to flag up this dimension of reflection as being worth looking at. It could also involve traditional journalling, video diaries, painting, drawing, composing music, scrapbooking ….

What does blogging offer as a method of theological reflection? It’s a good tool for expressing yourself if you express yourself in this way. I tend to be verbal and so being able to write things down means that I can say what I want and not just think it all the time. So it’s a form of self-expression and often that self-expression, because of what I am doing in my teaching and academic development involves theological reflection all the time, it ends up being my own theological reflection which people then chip in to and discuss – occasionally. It’s drawbacks are that it is so verbal and does not have the same dialogical strengths as doing theological reflection in a group situation or a real situation. How much is what I do on the blog simply my own ruminations? What does it all mean and what is the significance. I mean I don’t reference things, I don’t attempt to apply strictly academic criteria, I think that most of the reflection is actually amateur and personal. But having said that, it is real because it is what I am experiencing, thinking, reflecting. If it doesn’t match academic criteria – tough! Do I care?